March 5

Continual Updates about the COVID-19 Outbreak and our 2020 Race Season


Editors Note: As of March 16, 2020 the body of this post has been edited and updated with the most up-to-date information. You can view additional updates and resources at the bottom of the post.

We have an update for you regarding the COVID-19 outbreak and our race season this year. Unfortunately, due to escalating conditions surrounding the coronavirus, the 2020 Zion Ultras is officially canceled. All registered runners should have received an email earlier today detailing their options. If you’re registered for the 2020 Zion Ultras and didn’t receive this email, please contact Robin at, and she’ll make sure you get it.

I’m registered for a different race this year. What does this mean for me?

With things continuing to change daily, we are taking each race on a case by case basis until the outbreak is resolved. Aside from the 2020 Zion Ultras, no other races have officially been cancelled. However, we have landed on a schedule for making a final decision one way or the other.

We figure most people have a 30 day window to receive full or partial refunds on lodging and other travel expenses. Because of this, we will make our official decision to hold or cancel each race on the corresponding dates below, roughly 35 days before the event. All registered runners will receive communications outlining their options at that time. Until then, assume the race is on unless you’ve heard differently from us. 

*These are the dates by which we will decide if the race will have to be canceled:

  • Yosemite Half Marathon - April 6
  • Bryce Canyon Ultras - April 27
  • Grand Teton Half Marathon - May 4
  • Yellowstone Half Marathon - May 11
  • Glacier Half Marathon - May 25

For all events after the Glacier Half Marathon, it’s simply too early to say. However, right now we plan to make our final decision ~35 days before each race.

What does this mean for the 2021 race season?

We will be opening registration for our 2021 race season just as we do every year. While we are doing our part to follow health and safety recommendations and contain the spread of COVID-19, our plan is still to bet against the apocalypse. 🙂We expect to still be here in 2021. We plan to make some adjustments in the short term, but are looking forward to a return to normalcy as soon as possible. We have extended some of our price jumps, and will continue to adjust those and communicate to you as needed.

If you have questions you can also reach out to us at We are currently experiencing a high volume of calls and emails, but are working our hardest to get back to you in a timely manner. I promise we will respond, please be patient. It will probably be 2 or 3 days to get a response.

Thank you for being a part of our community. We will see you out there!

-VR Team

3/11 UPDATE: For those interested there is an up-to-date website that only shares facts on the spread of coronavirus. View the website here.

3/12 UPDATE: Salem, founder of Vacation Races, went on Facebook Live to discuss COVID-19.

3/12 UPDATE: We will be waiving any deferment or transfer fees during the outbreak. We will be automatically refunding these deferment and transfer fees for anyone who has already paid them. We should have done that from the beginning and we're sorry for the oversight!

3/15 UPDATE: We are extending our price jumps for the Grand Teton Half Marathon, Yellowstone Half Marathon, and Grand Circle Trailfest for 3 weeks. At that point we will reevaluate and send communications.

3/16 UPDATE: Gathering restrictions and escalating conditions have made it necessary to cancel the Zion Ultras. Please visit this page for details about Zion and other upcoming events. 


You may also like

Subscribe to our newsletter now!

Success message!
Warning message!
Error message!